- Our School
- Dads & Dudes
- Help & About
Message from Mrs. Koff, our Principal
August 1, 2012
I would like to welcome all of our new and returning families to Encino Charter Elementary School for the 2012-13 academic year which begins on Tuesday, August 14th. Last year was a busy and productive time for the students, staff and parents at Encino. With the amazing year we had in 2011-12, I thought I would review some of the highlights:
• We were recognized by LAUSD for becoming a high performing, 10/10 school with an API of 936.
• Due to our academic success and high quality instruction, we were nominated for and received the designation of California Distinguished School.
• Our “Reading Rocks Program” continued its successful run, with our students meeting and exceeding their reading goals as they raised funds to enhance our library.
• The historic Encino mural on our yard was restored and repainted.
• Ballroom Dance was added to our Arts/PE curriculum for all 4th and 5th grade students. The “Best Foot Forward” ballroom dance program culminated in a competition with 17 other LAUSD elementary schools. Encino celebrated a 3rd place finish in both the 4th and 5th grade divisions.
• In October we began the upgrade of our computer lab with the installation of 36 new IMac computers. The latest parts of the lab renovation will be unveiled this fall.
• Our parent booster group, the ETeam, worked diligently raising funds to support Physical Education, Art, Computer Lab, Science Lab and our Library/Media center; along with numerous other programs to directly benefit students. We had our most successful Annual Giving drive with regard to both the amount of funding and the degree of stakeholder participation.
• In March we joined other high performing, non-Title I LAUSD schools in applying to become an LAUSD Affiliated Charter School. The decision to become an Affiliated Charter was made after much research and a great degree of effort and hard work on the part of our instructional staff and School Site Council. Budget cuts at both the state and district level severely reduced Encino’s categorical and discretionary funding sources. With our new Affiliated Charter status we are able to replace much of the lost funding through a state block grant. Charter status also provides us with a greater degree of autonomy in making decisions about our academic programs and operational structure, while still remaining as part of LAUSD.
Never willing to rest on our past accomplishments, we have set our sights on making the 2012-13 academic year even more successful.
• We applied to remain an Arts focus school, and recently received confirmation that our Orchestra, Dance and Drama programs will be continuing for 2012-13.
• The Beyond the Bell - Youth Services after school program for grades 2 – 5 has been restored for next year.
• We are welcoming two excellent new teachers to our instructional staff.
• Additional upgrades to our computer lab are in progress along with improvements to our sound system.
• Ballroom dance will continue for our 4th and 5th grade students.
• The handball courts have been rebuilt.
The Encino staff is looking forward to working with you and your children, to promote a positive school environment where all children can learn, thrive and reach their potential as scholars and citizens. Our teachers, administrators and staff will work with parents and our community partners to make Encino Charter Elementary an outstanding school serving all of your children. We will need the commitment of all of our stakeholders to make this upcoming academic year as successful as last year.
Thank you for your support of our students, staff and educational programs. I look forward to another outstanding school year at Encino.
Marcia Koff, Principal